Sunday, July 1, 2012

Synch or Mix

Much has been said about the future of electronic music.  When I first started DJing, it was about finding that obscure piece of vinyl and dropping it on the crowd at the perfect time.  There was always an ebb and flow to the set.  The rise would be followed by a subtle shift, only to then slowly build back to a frenzied mass that would ignite the crowd into bedlam and mayhem.  Now, it’s all about glitz and glamour.  The bottom line, commercial DJs are getting too comfortable and the diehard fans like me are noticing. 

House Music, now called EDM (Electronic Dance Music), has gone from the underground raves of the 90s, to DJs with rock-star cred.  DJs like Tiesto, Skrillex, Afrojack, Pauly-D, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, and now Paris Hilton (insert gag reflex) all command fees upwards of $250,000 per show.  These DJs aren’t even DJing in its truest sense.  They are simply hitting play and have become a glorified jukebox or iTunes playlist.  “What worries me is not that DJs are simply ‘pressing play,’ but that they’re pressing play on the same tracks in the same order night after night after night,” said writer Jacob Schulman of Rolling Stone.  During Paris Hilton’s first ever gig in front of a huge crowd in Brazil, she couldn’t even press play and a tech had to come on stage to do it for her. 

The Wall Street Journal, of all places, stated in a recent article that there has been a ‘dumbing down of electronic music’ with these cliché ridden performers that do not represent the best of this genre.  House DJ legend Mark Farina was recently asked to leave the booth in the middle of a set in Las Vegas because he wasn’t playing recognizable music.  This is just another example of how club owners are paying huge fees for these douchebags to play to the champagne crowd. 

Full disclosure: I am 42.  I started DJing in 1990, which is about the time that most of the attendees of the Electric Daisy or Ultra Music Festivals were born.  I come from a time when DJs would program sets lasting 8-12 hours.  I was a frequent patron of NYC's infamous 'Twilo' in the late 90s and early 2000s. Granted, I knew the DJs like Sasha and John Digweed personally; they would take the club on a journey, sometimes playing til noon the next day.  In the Wall Street Journal’s article, superstar DJ Avicii said, “I just can’t play house for two hours.” Really? Then how would you possibly program a set for 8-12 hours? 

DJing is about taking risks.  If I were your age, I would listen to the older people talk about the stuff they used to do.  Granted, this may have little to do with the music you love now, but taking risks with the music is what made me fall in love with this genre.  If you’re a DJ, then think about skipping that big tune and tease the crowd with little to no regard for their reaction.  Make the crowd not only go bananas, but make them weep, yell, and question the very nature of their existence.  So, gather round the campfire, children, I have hundreds of dancefloor stories to share.  All of them starring you, but not really meant for you at all.  I am the DJ.  I do not take requests.  I am in control. Not you, silly dancer. 






















1 comment:

  1. Well hello. :) I found what you wrote to be very interesting. I myself am turning 30 in August, so I'm not quite your age...lol...but I'm sure I'm much older than at least some of our classmates lol.

    And while I was only 8 when you were started DJ-ing, I was slowly being developed and nurtured into a music fan by my step-father who has a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) record collection...so many LP's and even rare imports. And he would introduce me to all sorts of music...classic rock, punk, etc. And he played a lot of Metallica when I was little...lol. So at young age it might of been a bit scary when he was blasting it lol :)

    But I thank him for what he did as i was growing up, probably the best gift he ever gave me (in the long picture).

    I myself not really so into that particular style of music .Not that I hate it or have anything against it. I do have some Skrillex and David Guetta, and GirlTalk..but just several songs. Not albums.
    Maybe I'm bit of a sellout in some respect?..lol. But given it's not too much of my everyday listening music, if I happen to hear a song from one of the listed artists that I like...I try and get it. And generally these days, those bigger names are more radio friendly than some of the stuff you know...so is the way of the music world I'm afraid. :) lol

    I don't hold anything against the big commericial radio hits...but I also have bunch on my iPod who aren't as commercially known. It's main majority of pop, alternative, indie, some punk, some classic rock, some oldies (Otis Redding, Ben E. King, etc), R&B, Hip-Hop.

    I was born in '82, and I think that my subconcious grew into loving those silly 80s 1-hit wonders,,,,while plenty of good artists existed in that decade, there were plenty of 1-hit wonders. Sure we had U2 and Eurythmics, Tears For Fears..but c'mon...."C'mon Eileen"....always sing along lol....

    Sometimes people get stuck in their time, and always think the music from when they exist is best....I think the best music spans throughout decades. I was about 12 years old and obsessed with the Beatles.....me and my friends even went to a Beatles convention lol.
    I work hard to try and prove to my parents that not all the music today is crap...lol. My uncle is actually more open. My parents? They like to think they're open...but in actuality? They're not as open as they think lol.

    I just have to say by reading your blog, that I was touched by what you wrote when you said, "If I were your age, I would listen to the older people talk about the stuff they used to do". That's just a perfect summation of music in general I think, not only applying it to DJ-ing.

    It's how my love affair with music started...I learned to love and appreciate the music before my time, and from that love the music during my time. Afterall, those people wondering why their parents are stuck in their time regarding music will most likely end up the same way years down the road...

    I hope to not be like that, and be the musically open-minded person and appreciate that good music can come at any point in time, from anywhere. And for any purpose, be that a silly pop song when you just want to hear something because your feeling happy or a more lyrically meaningful song b/c your in a contemplative mood....or loud rocking music because you want to vent frustration.

    Music is a soundtrack to life. Where would we be without it? :) lol

    Btw...thank you for your post on my blog. I thought I'd return the favor...though I do apologize for rambling...sure you're rolling your eyes a bit.
    I think it's very cool that you've had experience in the music industry...so best of luck in whatever else you wish to do.

    ReplyDelete